Sunday, March 9, 2008

Starting

I'm late to the party again but I've been kicking around the idea of a blog for a few years. I just haven't been able to get the energy up to start one. I didn't want it to end up like all those journals my high school English teachers forced me to keep. My entries always sounded trite and then I ran out of things to say and would just end talking about what happened on General Hospital that day. Not that there won't be General Hospital posts on here because there will be.
So I guess I should lay out who everyone in the family is so when I mention them, people will know who I am talking about.
-There's me, Kate, I will be 36 in a few days. Am the surprise youngest child of 5. Born in NJ but moved to Maine at a young age. That sort of leaves me stateless because I didn't live long in NJ and I will never be accepted in Maine because I wasn't born here. I work a thankless job in a TV newsroom but it gives me regular hours which is a rarity in news. The job also is just a mile from home which is a bonus as far as seeing the kids during the day or being able to run out of work if there is an emergency.
-There's my husband Tim. Grew up mostly in Vermont and met me on the first day of college. Been together since 1992 and married since 1997. After the kids were born we couldn't afford daycare(thank you student loans!) so he quit his day job and started working overnights so he can stay home with them during the day. Therefore we only see each other in passing. The poor man never gets time to himself or quiet. I know all he dreams of is running away to Europe but he will never admit this out loud.
-There's Grace, our 7 year old. I fully expect her to support us in our old age through her acting career-everything is a tragedy-she has a big future in soap operas. She loves art and books. She also loves screeching at the top of her lungs and huffing away from us when she doesn't get what she wants. Shes a good egg and starting to cultivate her own TV addiction like her mom.
-There's Declan, our 4 year old. He's been pretty perfect from the start. A little bit of attitude is surfacing now that hes getting older. He's very goofy and always telling jokes and talking in funny voices. He is now obsessed with Legos which have replaced his earlier obsession with Matchbox cars. I sort of feel sad for his 100 cars now-they just sit in a box unplayed with when he used to bring them to bed with him.
-Then theres Peter and Owen-our babies from before we had real babies. Peter is a very large (15 lbs)furry and grumpy 14 year old cat. Owen is a very bendy and orange 11 year old cat who spends most of his day rolling in dirt outside.
I will post pictures of all of these people except me once I figure out how. Might take a while-the digital camera is beyond me once I take the picture.

3 comments:

Kitty said...

Riveting - leaves me yearing for the next installment! Replaces The Bold & The Beautiful for me! xoxo

Lisa said...

Welcome to Blog-ville! Already looking forward to the next post!

Heather said...

Yay, Kate! I'm already a huge fan. Keep those posts coming. I felt the same way when I started - - like this would end up like all of the journals I ever owned, where I only wrote on one page! However it has turned out to be so much fun. Good for you! I'm so excited that you've taken the leap!