Tuesday, August 17, 2010

You'll Never Get Lost Jewelry

I am the first to admit this-I have been ignoring my Etsy shop. I posted over 100 things for sale last Spring and they did not miraculously just all sell on their own. You have to actually put some effort into it. I have a new "line" coming out. It's like I'm on Project Runway. To be successful on Etsy, you have to find a niche. I have been looking at all sorts of map jewelry on there but no one seems to focus on Maine. I dug an old map out of my glove compartment and I am experimenting.
Here are some glass tiles drying and waiting to be cut out. I'm focusing mostly on the coastal touristy towns and the mountains.
I figure those areas are the most heavily traveled and would sell the best. The great thing about this is that I can take special requests. It might not occur to me to make one for say, Mechanic Falls, but someone might want one. I'm going to post these hopefully this week and then I might expand. I went to Goodwill and bought an old world atlas. I think I'll move on to Europe next.
This was my test necklace. I love it. I wore it to work today and I already sold a custom request. I just wish they didn't take so long to dry!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Oh my gosh, those are AWESOME! Save Idaho for me!! LOVE IT...what a great idea!

Jen said...

I love the map necklace - great idea!
I enjoy reading your blog too - glad Heather linked to it! When I was out visiting her, she showed me some of the jewelry you made for her - very nice.

- - Sheryl - - said...

I have to draw full of maps - Coincidentally - we went to Maine a few weeks back
I too am trying out necklaces... good luck with Etsy - Have not taken the plunge yet,

Denise said...

I was having lunch at the Camden Yacht Club and one of the women I was sitting with had one of your necklaces. It was quite the talk of the table. How funny that I'm sitting here in Tampa, FL and came across your blog from the "SewDangCute" blog. Now I know where I can get my own pendant.